Among the group leadership skills that come into play for Conference and Council Presidents is knowing how to run a good meeting. Here are a few tips for use whether you are a new or veteran President:
- Never hold a meeting without an agenda; send a tentative agenda in advance to everyone who is expected to attend.
- Make sure that copies of all reports to be discussed are sent out in advance of the meeting.
- It does not hurt to have a consent agenda for matters like prior meeting minutes and financial reports with discussion or reporting needed only if there is a question or correction.
- Begin every meeting with prayer, a spiritual reflection and brief discussion on the reflection. Business can wait for prayer and spiritual reflection.
- At the beginning of your meeting have those in attendance approve the tentative agenda so that it then becomes theirs.
- Stick to the agenda and politely keep those who are present on topic. Remember to treat everyone with dignity and respect, and remind them that we discuss matters, not argue about them.
- Provide an opportunity at the end of a meeting for new business to be brought up for discussion at that time or at a subsequent meeting.
We hope these basic suggestions help your meeting run smoothly.