Friends of the Poor® Grant Program Guidelines
Since 2008, the Friends of the Poor® Grant Program has allowed the National Council of the United States, Society of St. Vincent de Paul, to help local Conferences and District Councils provide emergency service to the poor, beyond their available resources. Through a simple application process, Conferences and Councils can apply for up to $5,000 for specific needs in their communities.
Who Can Apply?
- Aggregated SVdP Conferences in good standing
- Instituted SVdP District Councils in good standing (Diocesan Councils are not eligible)
- Applicants must have 501(c)(3) status with the IRS
Your Diocesan Council President will be contacted for approval of your application.
For questions on aggregation or institution, please contact Julie Witzel. For questions regarding 501(c)(3) options, please contact Sherry Brown.
What Can Grant Funds Be Used For?
- Rental/housing assistance
- Utility assistance
- Food/clothing assistance
- Medical assistance
- Transportation assistance
- Baby/children needs
Grant funds cannot be used for Twinning, Extension, building projects, or any purpose other than those identified above.
Grant Awards and Reporting Requirements
- Grant awards may vary from the application amount, but will not exceed $5,000
- Any funds awarded must be fully utilized within six months
- A grant report must be submitted within six months, using the National Council Grant Reporting Form. A detailed financial accounting of all grant funds, impact numbers, and a success story are required.
Friends of the Poor® Grant Application Submission Dates
- North Central and Southeast Regions: February 12 – 28 (awards announced in April)
- Mideast and Midwest Regions: May 15 – 31 (awards announced in July)
- Western and South Central Regions: August 15 – 31 (awards announced in October)
- East and Northeast Regions: November 15 – 30 (awards announced in January)
Grant applications will only be accepted during the submission period dates. No early or late application will be considered.